Thursday 17 April 2008

Lessons from Catechism

This is for posterity. For the girls to look at and laugh when they grow up

Ann and Rose are getting ready for their First Holy Communion, a major milestone in a Catholic's life.

They have been attending sunday classes for the past 2-3 years and we have been given drops of knowledge.

After the first year when Ann failed to make it to in the Annual exams, and when both my husband and I were asked to meet the headmistress before she was promoted to the next class, we have been careful to see that they atleast attain the magic pass marks. Cant think of attending another of those sermonising sessions which comes from the headmistress in her brocken English. I wonder why they even make the effort when it is common knowledge that all of us are Malayalees. I guess speaking English is "Eshtyle"

Anyway it is a big strain when the catechism exams are announced both half yearly and annual that i go into a state of nervous breakdown cos it involves teaching them and believe me I have more tension that when their session ending exams at school approach

During one such exam, one of the Question was

Q:Who is our Savior?
Ans: Jesus is oour Saviour

and in the section Fill up the Blanks this question was repeated as

Jesus is our Savior

Unfortunately, for Rose the question appeared in the Fill in the Blank session and instead of filling the blank with Jesus, the poor soul filled it with Who
This was during her first standard, she has progressed much since.

Since the intensive preparatory classes for the Holy Communion has started she has become a source of gyan for anything related to Christianity

Once when the Husband was making a fuss about Lunch being delayed, she comes up with
"Achahcha, I am surprised, you cannot stay hungry for one hour. Dont you know Jesus fasted for 40 days and nights?". My eyes popped out. She had indeed seen the light.

Day before yesterday when i was preparing breakfast in a hurry in time to put food on the table before 7.30am. (I admire myself everyday for accomplishing this on time without any major casualities barring screaming at the girls and their father for their inaction during my time of crisis) Rose comes into the kitchen in a hurry and says" Amma, Mary was discarded by her parents when she was born" and I ask her, "Who the new girl in your class?" (as her classmates/she is prone to making things up about her classmates). She gives me a funny look and says," Amma, I meant Virgin Mary". and I " Ohhhhhh Mary!!!!"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Catechism? For the kids it must be more like cataclysm ?? :-)